Thursday, April 14, 2011

Students Organizing against 230% Tuition Hike Targeting Undocumented Students

Undocumented Students in Phoenix, AZ are organizing to fight back against a 230% tuition hike passed by the Maricopa Community College Governing Board which is targeted at undocumented students.

Out-of-state students taking six or fewer credit hours pay $96 per credit under the current policies, with a rate increase for more credits. The new rules will charge out-of-staters $317 per credit, or about $1,000 per class, even if they take a limited schedule.

"I'm not even sure I'm going to be able to go back to school in the fall. I was paying $300 per class. Now I'm going to pay $300 per credit. So then I would have to pay $1000 per class. If I could barely get $300 for one class, how am I going to get $1000 for one class?" said Maxima Guerrero, an undocumented student at Phoenix College.

Read the full article here.


0 comments:

Post a Comment